Old April 1st 05, 08:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Fidler wrote:
Membership locator has always been protected with a password. However, I
feel the remaining rather feable content of the website should be available
to all that wish to view. A philosophy of offering to share information
about soaring with interested parties may actually translate to a growing
membership rather than a CURRENT DECLINING ONE.

We used to have it freely available. How did that work out? We had
declining membership. I think the philosophy is generous but doesn't
help. The kinds of things behind the password are things that are
unlikely to attract NEW people to soaring, but are things of value to
people already in soaring. I think the current policy is more likely to
encourage these "already" soaring people to join the SSA than one that
gives them what they want for free.

After all, it takes money and effort to produce and deliver these
things. If they have value to non-members, they should seriously
consider supporting the costs and efforts by becoming members. This
would enable the Society to do even more.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA