Old May 12th 05, 04:09 AM

Kyle Boatright wrote:
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used?

We flew gliders off the turf in Readington, NJ, some years ago. One
day I followed the Lark around the pattern in an SGS 1-26. The Lark
landed nice and short (I started aiming to land over him), but then
rolled out long and stopped in the middle of the runway. The only
clear space available was the diagonal swath cut by the tractor as he'd
headed for the barn after his last pass down the runway... maybe 12
feet wide, maybe less. The 1-26 sits about 6 inches off the ground and
has glider-sized wings. As I eased her into that skinny little slot,
both wings settled nicely into 12-ish inches of grass.

That was also the shortest landing I've ever made, by a very large
margin. :-|

-Dave Russell
N2S-3