Old June 10th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

Default EW microRecorder and ERIXX

In message , --=JJay=--
writes
Hi,
I've sold my volkslogger and now I'm looking to buy something else,
considering price and features EW microRecorder SD logger and ERIXX
logger both look interesting.
I would like to hear from people that are using these loggers (not
necessarily both of them;-)), please share your opinion, how they work
with PC and with PDA, pros and cons, anything to help me a bit

I have an EW Microrecorder.

Pros - small, light, supplies 5v to the PDA if you supply 12v from the
glider's battery, connects via USB as a removable hard drive. (Mine is
mounted with Velcro out of the way on the inside of the fuselage.)
Masses of memory - I can record ever second without worrying about not
having enough room for the file. It automatically starts overwriting
the oldest IGC file when it runs out of free space.

Cons - you need to connect it to a PDA or a PC to make a declaration ,
or you need one that will write a correct EWUSER.TXT onto an SD card.
Doesn't give any navigational help. The standard screw connection for
the GPS aerial is fiddly - wish I'd gone for the BNC alternative.

Pro & Con - you can edit the EWUSER.TXT by hand using Notepad or
similar. You don't need any special software, you can make a right mess
of it...

Mine supplies a GPS feed to the moving map on my PDA, the PDA used to be
able to send a declaration and that's stopped working but I suspect the
cable.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net