Old October 18th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US Club Class Participation

On Oct 17, 12:14*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
Hello UH,

I look forward to competing in Club Class.

I have competed in Sports Class and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I
want to compete in a Club Class because:

1. *The ships should be of similar performance. *I won't be flying my
LS1-d against Ventii or ASW-27's, etc.
2. *Hopefully, the handicaps will be "fair". *Maybe follow the IGC/WGC
on Club Class handicaps.
3. *Possibly get "close" to an Assigned task. *Right now, it's
possible for the CD to call TAT with up to a 30 mile radius. *Holy
Mackeral! *For some of us, going from one side of the turnpoint to the
other is a task all by itself. *If the turn point radius were made
smaller, it would require us, now flying very similar aircraft, to fly
in pretty similar air. *And not spread us out across several
counties. *I can see the need for large turn areas if the gliders are
extremely dissimilar in performance or the weather is iffy (like out
in the western part of the U.S. and there's a chance to see and avoid
storms), but keeping similar gliders on the same task would be more
fun. *I might learn a bit more if I had a chance to actually see
someone on course. *The large radii spreads us out too much. *Might as
well be flying completely different courses.
4. *And I will lobby my friends who fly Club Class ships to come join
the fun. *At our club, we were successful for the 2007 and 2008
seasons in bringing in one new pilot each season to Sports Class and
they had a blast, and they'll be back. *I hope to do the same for Club
Class and hope I can find more than the two from our club.

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

So far, we are at zero incremental participation. Let's hear from
pilots who won't fly sports class but would fly club class.

BTW I think I've only flown 2 ATs in the past three years flying in 15
meter class, so the idea that a club class would lead to a lot more
flying with other gliders is likely a fantasy. The TAT and MAT tasks
were developed to allow for variations in pilot experience at least as
much as for differences in glider performance.

9B