Old October 18th 04, 05:34 AM
Mike Noel

Default Instrument overhaul experience

Since the subject of new vs. overhaul comes up periodically, here is my
experience with the overhaul of a DG (1976 Mitchell aka Edo Air with
autopilot interface.) I sent it off to Bernard Ducasse in Pennsylvania
based on instrument shop recommendations found using Google Groups. Bernard
charged $400 for the rebuild and the two way, 2 day air shipping added $60
to the total. So far, after about 5 flying hours, the DG is working
flawlessly.

My only concern with Bernard is that he does not accept credit cards. It
took about 2 1/2 weeks to turn it around including the time for the check to
arrive and clear. This really wasn't a problem since I just plugged up the
open lines with dowels and clamps and continued to fly the plane.

Previously I had removed my analog tach and had it overhauled locally. The
cost was $60 and the tach is now giving accurate readings across the RPM
range.
--
Regards,
Mike