Old December 24th 05, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,sci.electronics.design,alt.solar.photovoltaic

Default Wind/Solar Electrics ???

If only the baseband frequency is sampled at 6kHz then
information is missing to recreate the original 100kHz
and the sampling information is insufficient to
recreate the original signal.

This is analogous to saying the number 1234 can be
represented by
(1234-234) / 1000 = 1

If I supply the number 1.0 you can regenerate the
number 1234 from it? Not true, without the rest of the
sampling information. The sample is incomplete.

Bandwidth sampling only cannot recreate the original
signal.

"Me" wrote in message
In article

,
"daestrom"

wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany"

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:46:49 GMT, the renowned

"daestrom"
wrote:

wrote in message
Joel Kolstad

wrote:

(I can't tell you how many times I've seen

people stating something
like,
'The Nyquist theorem requires sampling at at

least twice the highest
frequency present in the signal," when of

course it says no such thing.)

What do you think it means?

Nyquist figured out that higher frequency

components of the input signal
will 'alias' and you will lose the ability to

tell them from lower
frequency
components. In order to avoid 'losing

information' and not being able to
tell whether a particular sample stream was from

a low or high frequency
component, Nyquist's theorem states you must

sample at least twice as fast
as the highest component present.
snip

More than twice the bandwidth.

So, if I have a signal with a 1000 hz carrier, with

a bandwidth of 50 hz,
you think I can sample it at just 150 hz and get

accurate reproduction?
That's just wrong.

It is the maximum frequency component in the signal

that is important. The
bandwidth is not related unless the lower edge of

the band is at 0 hz
(whereupon the upper side of the band is equal to

the max frequency).

daestrom

You are getting your terms confused here guys.

Nyquist requires that
you input both the Center Frequency, and Bandwidth

when determining
the Sampling Rate. If the sampling is done at

BaseBand then only the
Bandwidth is relevent. If the sampling is not done

at baseband, then
the Center Frequency, and Bandwidth are required to

determine samling
rate. Example, if the Bandwith of the signal is 3Kc

and the sampling is
done at BaseBand then sample rate needed would 6Kc.

If the sampling is
done at 100 Mhz with the same 3Kc bandwidth, then a

200.006 Mhz sampling
rate would be required.

It is much easyier to do DSP at baseBand, than at IF

Frequencies, and if
you do DSP at IF Frequencies, the lower the IF

Frequency, the easyier it
is to do, and the slower the DSP has to run.

Me