Old October 5th 12, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cedric Sponge

Default Aerobatics in semi acrobatic certified sailplanes

No it doesn't.

At 20:04 03 October 2012, Peter Thomas wrote:
This says the PIK 20 D is fully aerobatic if you fit toe straps and
a g meter

http://easa.europa.eu/certification/....024/EASA%20SA
S%20PIK-20D%2020110428.pdf

although the video shows rolls and inverted flight. the pushovers
are probably fairly low speed (watch the asi)

At 14:17 03 October 2012, jams wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently become interested in gliding and have been

exploring the
aspects associated with the sport.

I'm going to use the term 'standard glider' to represent any

non-acro
15m glider, (ASW 19/20, Speed Astir, LS range, DG range,

PIK20D etc) not
standard class.

I recently started looking at aerobatics and sailplanes certified

for
this. Started looking at datasheets for aircraft and most

'standard
gliders' are semi aerobatic only, in addition to this some give g
ratings. The most common I have found is +5.3 / -2.65.

Seems to be
almost a standard.

When I started looking at what maneuvers 'semi acrobatic'

gliders could
perform, the standard list seems to be loops, spins, chandelle,

spiral
dive.

I then came across some more advanced maneuvers like

cuban 8, barrel
rolls, inverted flight etc. I thought that these type of

maneuvers would
exceed the -g rating of -2.65, so wouldn't be feasible. Then I

came
across this you tube footage of a PIK20D doing some, what I

think to be,
serious aerobatics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSB-JAFqrhU

Pretty sure there is some significant -g going on in some of

these
moves, however the PIK20D (according to the BGA datasheet)

is only rated
to -2.5g.

So what I'm asking is:

Is this still basic stuff, (just looks impressive too me!)?

What sort of -g would be experienced in these maneuvers,

would it exceed
-2.65?

Would other 'standard gliders' be able to do stuff like this

(assuming
they had the same g rating as the PIK)?

I did think for a minute that this was a brave chap wondering

what it
would take to snap the wings off, but on translating the

German it says
its part of his bronze acro training. So it must be signed off by

some
CFI somewhere?!

What do you think?

One interesting thing I came across was the g ratings for the
LAK-12...+6 -4...thats quite high up the g rating ladder, and

pretty
impressive for an 20.5m Open class machine!

Cheers

James

--
jams