Old June 9th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Default B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber Crash Video

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:04:35 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

The current ACES II seats are zero/zero (will get a good chute with zero
forward velocity and zero altitude). It is generally felt that the parachute
landing and wrong body position cause the compression fractures, not the
ejection itself. The seat senses the actual altitude and attitude, and this
determines when it separates, although manual separation is also an option.

You're not supposed to land on your feet, regardless.

*********************************

To add some comments about early ejections.

I had the Zero lanyard hooked up. One end was connected to seat and
other end to rip cord. Normally it was only connect under 5K on take
off and landing (low speed). If you used it at high altitude and high
speed it opened the chute immediately and you could blow some panels
in canopy and tear up some of teh shroud lines.

A few seconds after ejection the seat belt blew open and the butt
snapper(we called it) pushed me out of the seat. When I left the seat
the zero lanyard pulled the rip cord and chute opened and was a good
chute (no shroud lines over canopy, etc).

These were 24 Foot round chutes and there were four shroud lines (two
on each side toward the rear) that you cut with ur survival knife.
This changed the shape of the canopy and it picked up some forward
velocity. You could then do a little steering of this forward
velocity to help pick a landing spot.

I landed facing down wind like the book said and made a poor parachute
landing roll due to the poopy suit and other things I had on me.

On the way down I pulled the bottle in seat pack and the dingy
inflated and hung about 10 feet below me all the way done.

Was picked up by a Danish chopper about 3 1/2 hours after ejection and
taken to the air base where Doc examined me for injuries.

The Aces seats are wonderful and are Zero Zero. Quit a few have
ejected either on the ground or very low and survived. Some got some
injuries like a broken leg or arm but that is much better than burning
in the crash.

Hope some of the these comments help explain some of the discussions
that have been made on RAP.

Big John