Old June 9th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber Crash Video

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

On 2008-06-08, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
If you are saying that a high-speed abort would have done more damage
(to the aircraft) than to continue to fly, that's one thing. But if
you are saying that it is ok for $1.4 billion machine to continue to
takeoff simple becase it is more convenient than aborting...???

But we don't know that, we don't even know when the master caution
illuminated (at least, nothing I've read says when it illuminated). We
know very few facts at this stage and it's all speculation.

As an example, if the master caution illuminates *after* V1 has been
reached you do not abort; at this stage you're committed.

Well, in addition to that we don't even know what the master caution meant
in this instance. It could just mean that one of a number of redundant
systems is malfunctioning. In most modern airplanes, bull**** items on the
master caution system are surpressed during the takeoff roll, however, that
may not be the case in the military, where they may prioritise things
differently because of a different operating environment, i.e. people
shooting at you. They also don't fly much but spend a great deal of time in
the sim, so they may have a different POV on that whole aborted takeoff
thing anyway. Most of the ex-mil guys I fly with didn't fly bombers, or if
they did they were anteeks, so I don't know anyone I can ask, but even if I
knew one he'd only be able to pass minimal info anyway. "Yep, goes real
fast, over 300 knots"

Bertie