Old January 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Baron Man

avoid this place like the plague!

their guestimates are way off...5-10 hrs usually mean 15.

and they usually can't fix the problem if it's anything beyond
the routine installation.

i had problems with engine oil leak. after 10 hrs billed - no
solution...took it somewhere else.

Ken,

I just had a GPS-300XL installed by C&W Aero at Caldwell, NJ. This is a
quality shop. I believe their labor rate is $80/hour for avionics (that's
typical for this part of the country). Neil (the owner) is very helpful

and
will steer you clear of some of the crap out there.

My total was around $8500 (including all parts) but I had some other work
done at the same time. In any case, your $4K limit may be a little tight.
Figure about $2000 for the installation alone (i.e. about 25 hours), then

if
you want a legal IFR solution you'll need:

- A nav head which can accept GPS input
- An annuniciator (not needed for a 430 or 530)
- The GPS unit
- The appropriate paperwork (your installer takes care of this)

You may already have a usuable nav/head, but you probably don't have a GPS
annunicatior. Figure about $1000 for one of those (whichever shop you
choose may be able to give you a deal on a used one). That puts you at

$3K
already and you haven't even purchased a GPS unit yet! You can probably
pick up a decent 89B on ebay for around $1K but I'd go with one of the
garmin units, they seem to have nicer displays, etc. If you don't have a
usable nav/head, add in another $500-$1000 to get one.

best of luck,
mark

"Ken" wrote in message
Looking for an avionics shop in NJ or eastern PA. I want to get an
IFR moving map GPS installed in my Archer. Don't have the budget for
a GNS-430 or CNX-80 so I'm thinking either a KLN-89B or the Garmin
GPS-155XL. Any other thoughts in that price range? I'm hoping to
keep the entire bill under $4k. Any experiences with Penn Avionics at
Perkiomen?

Thanks,

Ken