Old April 15th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tom McQuinn

Default Options After Items Flagged as Unairworthy (was TBO and Airworthiness)

Denny wrote:

Then you move your plane out of his shop and secure it...
Then you call the FSDO for your area and ask for a ferry permit for
this plane because of a dispute with the A&I... You read him/her the
list of discrepancies, such as the small dent in the exhaust that has
been there for a decade, etc. and ask for the ferry permit to move the
plane to another shop for a fresh inspection...
The odds are 99 & 44/100% that you will get the ferry permit...

denny

I got in a dispute at annual once and took this path. ('Annual' might
be an exaggeration since the plane was sitting untouched after I had
been promised repeatedly that getting to it in time wouldn't be a
problem.) Unless things have changed or my memory is playing tricks on
me, the form that the FSDO willingly faxed to me still had to be signed
by either an A&E or an IA. In retrospect, I also wonder what the
insurance company would have had to say if anything had gone wrong?

Tom