Old August 13th 03, 01:33 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message
This last trip, 3 weeks ago, I was relieved by the GSA [Government
Security Administration] uniformed security folks [I could claim it upon
my return however] of my still kicking around circa "Class of '68-'70"
US Army Zippo lighter [Inscribed: MACVSOG...don't ask! Check the
website.... ] not due to any known no smoking regs or matters, no-no,
but rather the alleged potential of the passenger to use a lighter and
go bananas forthwith and suddenly begin setting fire to seats! Ohhh
yes...this is a but a taste of "enhanced security measures."

I have found the few times that I have flown on the airlines recently that
security is inconsistant. Sometimes they wouldn't take a second look at my
Zippo and other times told me to leave it behind or put it in my checked
baggage. Matches were OK to take...

Totally different ball game these days when you go [or have to] go
commercial.

The 'local' airport which has 3 or 4 airline fights per day installed may
new security features in the terminal. The thing is you can walk over to the
FBO 50 feet away to get onto the same ramp. A lot of the security at most
airports is so Joe Q Public thinks there is 'some' security.

Doc Tony

BTW..anyone in the group who is commercial connected for their
livlihood...WHY is it that all manner of deals can be found if one does
the round-trip [R/T] fare thing but the fare on the same plane and same
airline can almost TRIPLE in cost if you fly only one way? Sometimes,
when family emergencies strike and you have to get there FAST, hey,
commercial jet travel is the only way to go [unless of course you have
your own Citation or whatever --and-- the ticket/ratings to go with it]
but a one way trip is sometimes necessary and prudent because one just
doesn't know the extent of 'time' the emergency can last and so a R/T
ticket may have to be wasted. Yet one way fares are often prohibitive!

Why?

My R/T from NY to FLA was a decent $458 [NOT waiting the usual 14 days
for the discount fare] BUT a 'one way' on the same plane and same
airline and same destination was a mind boggling $688! Why such a wide
disparity in fares between R/T tickets and a one way ticket?

The times that I flew one-way, I usually bought the round trip ticket for
cheaper and didn't use the return ticket. One time I wanted to buy a 1-way
ticket between Fort Dodge (FOD) to Mason City(MCW) but the $400+ cost for
the 52km trip was out of my budget. A round trip ticket between FOD and MSP
with a stop at MCW (each way) was 'only' $200+. Decided to drive instead...

--
According to the good folks at NASA, Mars will be closer to Earth than at
any other time in the last 50,000 years this coming August 27'th...

Plan on going outside that night and waving...
Hey, it's only neighborly, right?