Old July 20th 04, 11:13 PM
Bill Daniels

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
news:L1gLc.131341$IQ4.41472@attbi_s02...

"scurry" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:

The FAA has finally released the final SLA regulations for gliders.

The Gross is now 1320 pounds, the Vne is 120 knots.

It seems like good news. Any comments?

Bill Daniels

Why so slow? Vne is almost irrelevant (except for aerobatics) to the
intended use of a glider. Seems like its a regulation that encourages
the manufacturer of weaker airframes.
Bill, do the regs require fixed gear? Any mention of flaps?

Shawn

BTW, I think I got it wrong. It's Light Sport Aircraft (LSA). The new

regs
are effective Sept. 1st.

Retracts are OK for gliders, not powered LSA's. Flaps are OK too. I

would
encourage manufacturers to build to a 120 knot Va but just mark the

redline
there. It seems that most gliders could be re-certificated as LSA's.

The
benefit? Doing your own annual condition inspections, maybe.

Bill Daniels

Altitude restrictions?

Frank Whiteley

There are two things in the new regs that are hard to keep apart - LSA
aircraft and LSA pilots.

It appears that there is a 10,000 foot limit for LSA PILOTS flying LSA
aircraft. The concern is that holders of LSA pilot certificates will not
have had training for high altitude operations.

LSA gliders flown by a holders of a Private Glider or better certificate do
not appear to have an altitude limitation that is different from standard
airworthiness gliders.

Bill Daniels