Old January 12th 15, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Minutes of Fall 2014 USA Rules Committee meeting posted on SSA website

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 5:57:01 PM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:34:35 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 8:35:19 PM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
The minutes of the Fall 2014 USA Rules Committee meeting have been posted on the SSA website under "Racing Rules and Process" and can be accessed directly via the link below.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2014...ng_Minutes.pdf

If you can't get the link to work automatically, copy its text and paste it into a program like Notepad, then copy the text from Notepad and paste it into your browser.

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT), Chair

"Rules Committee plans to remove the prohibition on electronic devices in the cockpit in 2016. Comments are welcomed."

The context implies that this includes artificial horizon tools of all sorts, comm gear of all sorts (real time flight location and data for instance), satellite links... basically anything anyone wants to pay for. Is that what is actually intended here?

Evan Ludeman / T8

They are just embracing the reality that it is impossible to prohibit such devices in the days of pocket computers (often masquerading as telephones) that have apps that can do much of what a dedicated instrument can. Having live weather data is a safety benefit for everyone and I could make a similar case for gyro instruments. Remember when varios and then GPS were not allowed?

Mike

I am simply trying to clarify what it is that is (provisionally, comments invited) being embraced. You must admit, that *is* a little surprising in view of the positions that have been articulated over the last few years.

I'm one of the guys that helps put the toys in your panel, I'm no luddite.

-Evan