Old June 4th 15, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Jet turbine reliability

That was Brett that wrote about the FJ-44, not me.

On 6/3/2015 2:57 PM, Brett wrote:
Dan Marotta;904892 Wrote:
That's what I thought.

On 6/2/2015 7:47 PM, wrote:-
They are MODEL engines and are not "man rated" by the FAA. There are
several YT vids showing how they are built and assembled. Watch these
and then determine if you ever want to put your "skin on the line" using
one. By comparison, the Williams FJ-44 is a small TURBOFAN originally
built to power US cruise missiles. It had to demonstrate extreme
reliability before it was FAA certified and man rated for use on very
light business jets. Not to mention it was originally designed to
stringent military specs. Bottom line again, these are model TURBOJET
engines. Never put your safety/life in a position where their
reliability matters.-

--
Dan Marotta

No Dan, the TJ42 turbine used in the JS1 Revelation has been developed
from scratch specifically for the sailplane market. They have never been
used in anything but sailplanes and comprehensive testing has been
completed for certification. I have had the privilege of visiting the
factory in Northern Germany and was very impressed with the dedicated
plant and the professionalism of the staff.

Brett

--
Dan Marotta