Old October 18th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default Who is responsible?

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

If it's not me I'm abdicating to people who can't possibly make
decisions for me in the moment when they are most needed. Everything
else is advice, much of it good advice, but advice nevertheless. I
recall a thread a couple of years back regarding accidental incursions
into Class A where some advocated for risking the structural integrity
of the airplane (fly over redline, shift focus away from flying to
twiddle with the radio to report in to controllers, etc.) in order to
comply strictly with FARs. That would be making the FAA more
responsible for my safety than I am. I can think of a similar example
for most every answer on JJ's list except the last one.

Was it a trick question?

9B