Old October 19th 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default Who is responsible?

On Oct 18, 7:57*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Who is primarily responsible for my safety?
* * (choose one)
A. My supervisor
B. My boss
C. My club
D. My FBO
E. Contest Director
F. Contest Manager
G. Rules Committee
H. Soaring Society of America
*I. Soaring Safety Foundation
J. FAA
K. NTSB
L. Me

I got to thinking about the safety responsibility issue, so I started
asking a few people. Got several of the above optipns, but the best
one was, "My husband, Jim",

Food for thought,
JJ

L. We are responsible for ourselves.

Flight manuals, military tech orders, have Notes, Cautions and
Warnings.
Notes are for information,
Cautions are to protect the airplane or components from breakage.
Warnings are to protect people, so you don't kill yourself or others.

We are told most cautions or warnings are there because someone broke
something or someone was hurt or killed.

Local rules at hang glider areas are there to protect the individual,
but also the group. And also to keep the area open to hang gliding.
Too many injuries or deaths that locals have to respond to bring in
outside intervention.

Same thing for glider club rules at airports, public or private. To
protect the individual and the group.
Besides, I'd rather be flying, then spending my time picking up broken
bodies and airplanes, and telling their families how we could not keep
their jerk of a relative safe.