Old March 9th 21, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7:08:28 AM UTC-8, andy l wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 March 2021 at 06:27:21 UTC, Patrick (LS6-b EH) wrote:
I wholly reject this foregone conclusion, it makes me so angry!

At the club I fly at (south of Calgary, Alberta) we have ...

[snip]
I am AMAZED by the content coming from Europe, especially the young people.

John G seems to have formed the same suspicion as I have.

Half a dozen IDs posting jaded repetition on urasb, some anonymous, possibly the same person talking to himself, and very similar in theme to certain posts above, does not constitute a wide-ranging debate or a consensus of the British gliding movement, and the fact that almost all the other old banter that used to be there has been beaten into submission by these trolls doesn't mean we are cowed by the correctness of the argument.

Our club has within 10 on the number of members compared to the previous year. Covid restrictions obviously bit into the operation last season but there was plenty of instruction and single seater flying by July and August, and we and other clubs are looking forward to re-emerging from lockdown shortly. It even looks mildly soarable right now.

Sometimes it can seem like plenty of older folk are around, but on a midweek day when some are at work and some retired, why not?

I looked at the website of a club in another country, considering a visit as a family member has bought a second home nearby. A breakdown of their membership numbers shows about a third are under 26.

I don’t believe that conventional advertising is cost effective, but a local FBO would make an early tow over crowded highways headed for Lake Tahoe resorts. The ride ship had GLIDER RIDES, displayed on the under side of the wings
Business would always increase almost right away.
JJ.