Old January 18th 05, 01:50 AM
Maule Driver

I'm sure you have a typo or 2 here - just want to be clear... You are
saying that the Maule likes to handle xwinds with less or no flaps - right?

My xwind high point was Key West. 30G35 directly across. I cranked in
full forward slip controls turning final. Turns out to be beyond the
ability of the rudder to maintain a proper forward slip. But even with
the relatively clear boundaries of Key West airport, the wind gradient
reduced the xwind velocity just enough to allow me to get it straight
during the flare. (By backup plan was a return to my departure point
where I had an into the wind runway). Did a 270 to exit the runway.

I was pretty proud of the landing. Tower was impressed too. Then they
told me that a Malibu groundlooped earlier that day and damaged the
gear. I'm sorry that I smiled.

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

speed IMO.

Maules are not fond of wheel landings, especially during crosswind conditions. I
have landed mine with 40 degrees of flaps in a 15 knot direct crosswind. I tried
it once in a 20 knot crosswind at Luray Caverns and was unable to do it with
flaps. John Price and I tried to get down in 28 knots once, and couldn't do it
with no flaps.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.