Old January 12th 10, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
delboy

Default Global Warming/Climate Change (was contrails)

On Jan 12, 1:56*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:47:53 -0800, Tom Gardner wrote:
2) If everyone turns their thermostats one degree closer to the outside
temperature, drives a smaller car, and switches off phone chargers when
not in use, will an energy crisis be averted?

My sister pointed out recently that British people tend to keep their
houses warmer than we did/do in NZ, so turning down the thermostat is not
a hardship - just put on a pullover over your T-shirt in winter.

Smaller cars is a problem for us in the trailer towing fraternity. My
main gripe with the current crop of electric and hybrid cars is that
nobody mentions towing, that I've seen anyway. There's one exception:
Aptera say NO TOWING up front. I guess the same goes for many of the rest
but they're too chicken to mention it.

It's interesting how 4x4s suddenly went from being reviled 'gas-
guzzling destroyers of the planet' and 'Chelsea Tractors' to being the
best thing since sliced bread, during the UK's recent return to the
ice age!

As far as I am aware, none of the current electric or hydrid vehicles
have much in the way of towing capacity, which would be a big problem
for glider pilots, even those who own electrically powered self
launchers such as the Antares. It should be accepted that some
vehicles do need to be gasoline or diesel powered for some
applications.

Derek Copeland