Old January 5th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Are you sure?

Default ASK-21 and Grob 103 cockpit ballast weights

On Jan 3, 2:24*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Jan 3, 12:14*pm, Bill D wrote:

This is not a direct answer but still possibly useful to you.

The ASK-21 weights are lead slabs about 12mm thick each representing
2.76 Lbs of pilot weight. *This increment is too small and would be
more convenient if larger *- say, 10 - 15 Lbs. *The bolt which holds
the weights in place is very long with fine threads requiring many
turns to tighten it. *Flying with CAP cadets and seniors means weights
are frequently changed which has turned out to be a hassle.

I'm considering casting new, larger 15 Lb pilot-equivalent weights
with a captive bolt of the proper length and a large knob for easy
tightening. *These could be swapped out with minimal fuss between
flights. *A pair of these new weights would be about right for
teenagers. *Grob weights can be made the same way.

If you don't have the tools, you can rent a plumbers lead pot and make
simple molds from plaster of Paris.

Bill D

Bill, thanks for the input. *I'm familiar with the ASK weights and
what a PITA they can be - having done numerous commercial rides with
them. *If I can't find any, I'll probably get back to you!

The problem is that right now we are using shot bags - scary!.
Fortunately no acro yet, but I'm trying to get that started and we
will definitely need secure weights then.

Cheers

Kirk
66

One other note about the weights. Kirk.stant stated that each factory
weight represented 2.76 pounds of pilot weight. That is correct and
is stated in the POH. Each factory weight weighs 2.25 pounds, but
since it is forward of the Pilot's center of mass (moment arm), it
will be equal to 2.76 pounds of pilot weight. Hence, each of your two
new weights that you cast should be 13.5 pounds.