Old May 18th 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 3:55:50 PM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
OK
The reason I'm pursuing this is to purely promote soaring, thats it, period.

People get bored and drop out as we know. I Want to try and slow that trend down.

How about this idea, State record keepers may not like it because its going to make a bunch of extra work for them, BUT..

How about in January of every year in soaring we publish the best flight in every current state record categorey, O&R's, Triangle speed, and then all those Distance awards. For each state.
Theres so much crap in Soaring now, IMHO, I'm sure they could free up the space.

That way it could keep pilots, like me, engaged by attempting ALOT more tasks, which is a challenge, easy to do and fun. Finishing any declared task is a blast.
Maybe we should start by polling the current state record keepers if they are up to this extra work.
What do you guys think?
Good Idea? or another lead balloon?
Nick

I have no issue with a "best flight in X category" THIS YEAR. But a record is a record, and if you want to beat it, then you need to have all your ducks in a row. Otherwise, it's meaningless.