Old October 7th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Control surface repair legal? Part II

A few weeks ago, I acquired the "collective usenet wisdom" on whether or not moveable control surfaces are repairable. The
answer I received was that "It depends on whether or not the service manual allows it." As an example, I looked through a Piper
Cherokee service manual which said that the control surfaces must stay within the balance limits after "painting or repairs."
Sounded feasible, especially since the book also said that the factory tries to leave the counterweight at the heavy end of the
allowable range to allow for painting and repairs.

After discussing this with my A&P/IA friend, he said he was told by a New Piper Aircraft rep that the official word is
that the official stance is that now control surface are NOT repairable. He went further to say that the IA was bound to adhere to
this, now that he knew.

OK... so the question NOW is, which one is correct? The written word of Piper Service manual, or the verbal communication
of the currect stance. Is there any *WRITTEN* documentation of this change of policy?

Curiously,
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *