Old October 9th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Control surface repair legal? Part II

wrote:
Stache wrote:

: Sorry but Piper is all wet on this issue if they did state such a
: thing. I would bet the Piper Company would not put it in writing and
: give it to your mechanic would they?

: Stache

I don't know that my mechanic asked to get it in writing. Now that you
mention it, that's an interesting way to go about it. If Piper maintains this
position "on the record," that means that their maintenance manual must be revised to
be in-line.

Stache, I wouldn't bet a lot if I were you :-)

Cory, Are you sure that your mechanic is referring to the latest
update of the repair manual? I went through this about a year and a
half ago with my rudder. It had a few cracks that had been stop
drilled over the years, but when one of the cracks jumped the drill
hole, my IA said it couldn't be repaired and had to be replaced. I
whipped out my old repair manual and pointed to the paragraph you
cited. He whipped out his brand new repair manual and showed me the
passage that had the prohibition on control surface repair. It had
been added within the last couple of years. I ended up with a newly
skinned rudder. Ouch!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)