Old October 3rd 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 10:45:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone know if it is safe, assuming you are properly trained in aerobatics,
to perform loops, rolls and inverted flying in a 1-26E?
Glider is rated at +5.3 -3.3 Gs

Walt Mooney (1925-1990) used to fly a great aerobatic routine in his 1-26, including some fairly extended periods of inverted flight, loops, spins, and rolls. I saw him fly his routine one time at the El Mirage Soaring Center back in the 1970s, when they put on a demonstration glider aerobatic meet.. Also participating were Ross Briegleb, and Pat Philbreck, if I recall correctly. He flew his 1-26 aerobatics on a TV show in 1973-74 called "The Thrill Seekers" hosted by Chuck Conners "The Rifleman". Walt's 1-26 was an earlier round tail model, with the fabric covered nose and fabric on the wings aft of the spar. I think it may have been an "A" model. Walt was an M.I..T. educated aeronautical engineer, glider pilot, power pilot, instructor, and designated pilot examiner, who lived in San Diego and worked for Convair, as well as some other companies over the years. He was an avid airplane modeler, and is probably better remembered today for his prolific collection of "peanut scale" rubber powered free flight model airplane plans, which are still used by the now probably somewhat dwindling number of aficionados of this sport. However, I think some of his airplane plans are being converted to use electric power these days. I couldn't find any old video of The Thrillseekers show, but there's a picture of him and his 1-26 in each of these articles:
https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles...er_1973_07.pdf
http://www.cfiamerica.com/images/PDF...tober_1973.pdf
and a longer article about him in this link:
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/KAPA/ISSUE77.pdf