Old May 2nd 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default It only takes one...

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

Long story short, the guy flew a normal downwind plus 2.5 miles, and
his downwind was literally a mile wide to boot...
The question in my mind was... Did the Cessna flying doofus even
realize that A) he was flying a dumb and dangerous pattern, being
outside of gliding range from the field, or that B) he caused a bad
chain reaction in the pattern.??

What kind of Cessna? 150? 182? 206? Caravan? My point is the higher
performance the plane, the larger the pattern. I wasn't there, so I'll take
your word the pattern was wider than it needed to be. Still, I consider
"gliding range in the pattern" a goal, not a rule with a "dumb" label
applied to violators.

Even if he was wide and long, why did you guys let it affect your pattern?
You could've entered slow flight and/or used shallow S-turns, for instance,
to eat time.

My real point is "flying doofi" will always show themselves at the pattern
(and elsewhere). The only thing we control is our reaction to them.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer