Old December 9th 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pawnee with Tost internal tow rope system

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 10:12:01 AM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:
Our club (in the US) is looking at a Pawnee that has the Tost cable retractor winch system and we are curious about it's operation.

For example, it appears that the rope requires a Tost weak link assembly at the glider end, but none at the towplane end. How are US operators setting it up? Tost weak link for glass and a "straw" for Schweizers?

How is the rope deployed on the ground? Does the ground crew just grab the rope end at the tail of the towplane and let the towplane taxi away?

Anyway - any info on club operating procedures with this system would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 10:12:01 AM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:
Our club (in the US) is looking at a Pawnee that has the Tost cable retractor winch system and we are curious about it's operation.

For example, it appears that the rope requires a Tost weak link assembly at the glider end, but none at the towplane end. How are US operators setting it up? Tost weak link for glass and a "straw" for Schweizers?

How is the rope deployed on the ground? Does the ground crew just grab the rope end at the tail of the towplane and let the towplane taxi away?

Anyway - any info on club operating procedures with this system would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

I'm building up 10 Wakerly-Walls winches. They are for PA 25 only. It is installed in front of pilots feet. Been used for over 50 years with NO PROBLEMS and no accidents. They will be FAA approved shortly and for sale then. ha12Aatt.net