Old September 30th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default Shaping wing tip skids

Excellent product. Have had them on my plane (Discus) for a few years.

For those concerned that hot shot racing pilots don't use tip wheels, I
noticed that the 2nd place finisher in the 18m class in the last World's
(Uys Jonker) was flying with tip wheels (the Jonker version) on his JS1-B.

On 9/30/2011 6:29 AM, Wayne Paul wrote:
http://www.williamssoaring.com/catalog/tires.html

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

I stopped using tip skids and went to wing tip wheels years ago. Neat
little nylon wheels mounted in a Delan housing, About the size of
Libelle tip wheels with a fared-in housing. The Delan housing can be
shaped to the wing contour by tapping a sheet of 40 grit to the wing
then sanding the housing to the shape of the airfoil by moving the
wheel housing span-wise until a perfect match is obtained. Google
Williams Soaring for photo, price $150. A wing tip wheel makes it much
easier to move the ship without any help or ground handling equipment
as is necessary for an aero-retrieve.
Cheers,
JJ.