Old August 9th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Speed of a vario

On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 7:49:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Which vario has lowest latency? (Least delay to indicate thermal we pass)

Anyone has done side by side tests?

The Air Avionics (Butterfly) vario has inertially derived vertical air mass movement. This is nearly instant, the indicator moves perhaps 1/10 of a second after your butt. It leads the barometric needle (both it's own, and the two other variometers in my panel) by over a second, and I have them set to the lowest time constant.