Old August 9th 05, 07:56 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 19:56:58 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Our club just received our newest 172. The previous owner put a decal
on the door advertising his company and we would like to remove it
without harming the paint. Any suggestions?

What you refer to as a decal is probably a vinyl graphic. A true decal
is made up of multple layers of silk screened ink with a clear layer
on each side which is printed on a paper that has a water soluble
coating on it. They are soaked in water then slid of the paper onto
the surface to be adorned. The water is squeegeed out from under them
and they adhere thru surface tension. The advise you have received so
far are probably pretty good for removing a vinyl graphic. Sign
companies make solvents to remove the remaining adhesive after they
are peeled of with heat, but mineral spirits might just do the job.
A true decal is a real bitch to get off.