Old October 27th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
clydebh

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Robert Danewid wrote:
Perhaps pilot skill was involved in the results (especially
for SS)??

Just my 3c worth....

Robert

Bruce Greef wrote:
Andy wrote:

Ben Flewett wrote:
ASW28 - Contrary to all the hype the ASW28 definitely
does not perform as well as either the D2 or the LS8
(including high speed range). In fact, I would rate
it's performance as surprisingly poor in comparison
to the D2 and LS8.

I wonder what data, or observations, you used to arrive at that
conclusion.

Andy

Having won the Omarama Grand Prix, with a current world ranking of #86 -
highest IGC ranking of #7 I believe. Contested World and European
contests in Discus 2s

I would apportion a certain amount of weight to Ben's observations.

A quote from Pete Harvey - UK Racing pilot - on losing day 2 at
http://www.gp06.com/race_diary/diary_day2.htm
"It's so frustrating to be beaten at the last moment by the glider
type, not pilot skill." The Discus overtakes the LS8 on final glide."

From the results "SS" - ASW28 never got close.

just my 2c worth...

For Referrence - a simple google search would get you to a ~2700 hits
for Ben Flewett.
http://www.glidingteam.co.uk/competi...cle.php?id=183

http://www.fai.org/gliding/ben_flewett
http://www.gliding.co.nz/