Old November 29th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Get a ferry permit, or just fly it?

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ups.com:

Judah wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:
I also can't imagine that a FSDO inspector simply walked up to the
plane and randomly opened an inspection panel and found a loose bell
crank. Could it be that there was some other symptom that caused the
inspector to draw his attention there? Perhaps this symptom should have
been noticed by a pilot and especially a CFI?

No, the FSDO does onsite inspections of all FBO's in the district at
least once every two years. Sometimes its a paperwork inspection, other
times they pick a couple of airplanes and disassemble them. I spoke
with several FBOs about this and they had all had this inspection done
at least once. Some did better than others. At some point I think the
FSDO is going to require all CFI's to have a valid IA certificate
before they can instruct.

I've never seen the FSDO rip apart planes on an FBO. I'm not completely
surprised with that, especially if the FBO does its own service.

You're saying the FSDO gave the CFIs crap for flying a plane that was
properly annualed, maintained, and documented, but had some obscure fault
that was not evidencible without ripping the plane apart?