Old February 16th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Sam,

VLOC is only for ILS and LOC, not RNAV

I know. However, procedure activation is treated as standard in the
manual, contrary to what you alluded to. There is no mention of
"automatic activation" I could find. Could you kindly point me to it?

No, there is no approach activation for ILS or LOC. Approach
activation, as defined for *RNAV* occurs 2 miles from the FAF. When you
select a LOC or ILS, you instead receive an advisory message cautioning
you that RNAV is for monitoring only.