Old March 10th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Default motorgliders as towplanes

I have some experience of aerotowing behind motorgliders, most Motorfalkes
and Grob 109s. They are alright, but struggle a bit with two-seaters.
There have been times when I have beem towed so slowly (about 50knots is a
K13, two-up) that the glider felt as if it was on the point of stalling!
Remember that a glider has to produce more lift when climbing.

I believe that engine cooling is often a problem, and that M/Gs are less
tolerant to the glider getting out of position. At my club we are
expressly forbidden to low tow, or to carry out training exercises such as
'boxing the tow' when M/Gs are being used. Sorry but give me a 235hp
Pawnee (or a winch launch) anytime!

Derek C

At 15:30 09 March 2009, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:14=A0am, wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:03=A0pm, Brad wrote:

Can a MG tug pull a loaded 2 place Blanik on a standard day at SL,
from a 1800' grass strip? Or perhaps such a tug could be used to

tow
the members single place ships, and the heavier/ 2-place ships stow
behind the clubs remaining pawnee?
Brad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5UYPyNgf4Q4

Lambada motorglider towing
UFM 13 Rotax 912 100hp

I watched a Lambada tow an LS-3 from Boulder (elev 5300) on a hot day
and it looked about the same as the SSB 180HP Supercub. The LS-3
pilot reported the same. I can't speak to the maintainability of the
Lambada but keep in mind that the Pawnee isn't sterling in that
department either.