Old April 18th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FlarmNet

Evan,

That would be the answer. A check of her registration in the FAA
database, showed that 5D is, indeed, the last 2 hex characters of her
ICAO address.

Dan

On 4/17/2017 11:31 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:00:40 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
An odd thing happened yesterday. Throughout the day, I kept seeing the
same glider, 5D, on my ClearNav, fed by a PowerFlarm portable. As we we
approached the airport, I tried to contact the glider to coordinate our
approaches and got no reply. Finally the glider pilot announced her
intentions and I queried on her position. It was who I thought, having
recognized her voice and call sign. I know she's the original owner of
this glider so I don't understand why the ID was wrong. I just
installed a new FlarmNet database about a week ago.

This has happened once before prompting the recent download. Other
gliders flying out of our home field display with the proper call
signs. Any ideas?
--
Dan, 5J

Also note... in the event that the flarm radio you are receiving isn't in your flarmnet database, CN displays instead the last two characters of the flarm radio ID.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

--
Dan, 5J