Old May 21st 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Greenhill

Default Taurus glider for sale

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:15:21 AM UTC-7, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Don't scare me now.
50ºC (122ºF) is VERY EASY to reach in Florida.
You mean to tell me all those trailers sitting out in Florida are slowly baking their gliders into oblivion?

Keep in mind that I was using SC-14 resin as an example, and although likely similar to the SC-14, I don't know exactly which resin glider manufacturers use.
Realistically, short exposure to 50 C while in the trailer (not under load) won't do major damage the glider. However, at significantly higher temperatures or under load, some damage might occur.

UV light causes widespread electron jumps due to its short wavelength (without high enough quantum energies that they have the same effect as XRays/Gamma radiation) and hence does not readily penetrate anything. So, although composites may be damaged if directly subjected to UV light, any thin layer of anything between the structural composite and UV light will be sufficient, it doesn't need to be white.

Thomas