Old May 27th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
That's possible, I suppose. Time spent flying (and preflighting) is NOT
deducted from your lifespan, so it pays to take your time... ;-)

Preflighting *is* part of flying, as you say. I know for a fact it takes me
15 minutes, but I also know for a fact that it doesn't feel like 15 minutes
because time flies when you're having fun. I enjoy the inspection, and the
minutes just pass by like water.

I still say you're suffering from time elongation during preflight.

I suffer from the same time distortion you do. It doesn't seem like 15
minutes. But I've checked the clock on several occasions. I know how long
it actually takes.

[...]
How long does your pre-takeoff checklist take you? Perhaps we're
commingling different parts of the lists, and counting them differently as
a result?

I do a normal run-up. Electric fuel pump is my primer, and so operation is
checked during engine start, like for your airplane. In any case, even on a
172, with much simpler systems than on my own airplane, my preflight is
generally over 10 minutes, and that's an airplane I can't even get into the
engine compartment with.

I don't know what else you might be considering...my pre-takeoff checks are
pretty typical as far as I know, except for the flight control check (only
the ailerons are visible from the cockpit, so I do check the flight controls
during the walkaround). If anything, I would guess my pre-takeoff checks
are fewer than others' for that reason.

Pete