Old October 3rd 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Air to air photography

pilots who are experienced in formation flight
pilot flying is not operating the camera

"Stephen Cook" ] wrote in message
At my club we want to take some air to air photographs of a glider for
promotional purposes. Does anyone have any useful experience they can
pass on?

Questions I'm thinking of:
What is a suitable camera aircraft? I imagine another glider is not the
easiest for getting the camera where you want it but does have the benefit
of low vibration. However I will be using an image stabilised lens. High
wing or low wing? What formation to fly? What is the best/easiest
combination of distance between the aircraft and lens focal length? What
pattern to fly? Obviously having the sun in the right place is important
but we can't fly in a straight line forever. I imagine if you're using a
tug (which has just launched the subject glider) you wouldn't want the
rope on the back.

I know that careful planning and briefing is important.

Stephen