Old April 2nd 04, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

jsmith writes:

Piper Aztec. Best single engine piston performer. Nice fat wing, good
low speed handling.

Yeah, I keep thinking about a bigger plane (hence reading this thread),
but I like being able to go 200 knots on "only" 32 GPH, and being able
to fly places that a 421 wouldn't.

Yesterday I almost filled the plane (One person didn't show.) and flew
to a 2100' grass strip. I had a single-engine pilot on the other
controls and he was impressed by how stable and easy to fly it was.

Every time I start to look at bigger planes, I check the takeoff roll
requirements and my bank account and give my Aztec a hug. There just
doesn't seem to be another plane like it.

OT: three more Aztecs recently appeared at our airport. They're flying
checks. Gotta meet them sometime.

Piper Cheyenne is the best small turbine. Check the accident statistics.

My mechanic votes for the Cheyenne too. That means a lot to me.

--kyler