Old August 18th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default I would like to find a place to volunteer my time

As Jim suggested, check with the Civil Air Patrol. We are losing a lot
of our members who were flyers in Korea and 'Nam because of age and
infirmities. I was out for 18 years and went back in a year ago myself
-- the equipment is much better now and there seems to be much more
activity. Being a quasi-military organization, CAP is very much into
procedures and safety, so don't expect to walk in off the street and be
handed the keys to their equipment. Our roles have expanded considerably
from the old SAR and Aerospace Ed to include more responsibilities in
national disaster relief, local, state and federal agency support, organ
and biomedical transport, and other similar tasks.

I have young grandkids now and get significant satisfaction supporting
the local law enforcement agencies in some of their activites. Check out
http://www.cap.gov/ for further information. There are at least 3 units
in the Minneapolis area:
http://cap.findlocation.com/results.aspx?page=default

But I'll be honest, I sure miss those old T-34s and O-1s...