Old September 5th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Too many accidents

This is a terrible topic to be sure so I hesitate to get analytical.

Sadly, this year is not yet out of the ordinary. Over the past ten years the average number of glider accidents per year reported to the NTSB is 25.2. So far this year we are at 17 (including the tragic event over the weekend). Fatal accidents over ten years have averaged 5.2. This year we are at 6. The probable causes this year seem not inconsistent with the overall trend, though obviously we have less information about more recent accidents. The mix of aircraft type/performance has not been significantly different from a casual review.

I think we tend to block bad memories out over time, but we have always paid a terrible price for our beautiful sport.

Respectfully,

Andy Blackburn
9B