Old January 5th 04, 12:46 PM
Jay Honeck

I am ready for winter to be over.

Pshaw. The very best flying is in winter. And it's just getting started!

Yesterday we got creamed with 8 inches of light, fluffy snow -- now
everything is gorgeous around here! (There is nothing worse than flying
over Iowa in January when all the snow has melted... 60,000 square miles of
MUD.) A true winter wonderland, we've become.

And, since we spent the entire afternoon/evening yesterday partying for the
playoffs (Go Pack!), I was glad the weather sucked for flying. Now,
everything is white, crisp, and cold. Our rate of climb will be easily over
1400 fpm, and visibility will be 1000 miles.

And you'll be able to fly at night the same as in the daytime -- even
without a moon. (The white snow reflects even starlight amply enough to fly
by...)

Now that I'm not in newspapers anymore, I'll take this weather over that
"flying inside a ping-pong ball" effect we get in July...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Jeff" wrote in message
the strong winds aloft are a killer when your ready to get back home.

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My worst GS was when I
climed to 10.5 to go over a mountain near kingman Az, I thought I was
sucking with my 130 kt GS at 8500 ft, at 10.5 I was getting a
blistering 117 kts!!!!!