Old October 21st 04, 08:32 PM
Beav

"Andrew Crane" wrote in message

"Beav" wrote in message

"Andrew Crane" wrote in message

"Ezra Bavly" wrote in message
news:%tVbd.110800$a41.94245@pd7tw2no...
Hi There,
Any Idea where can a person find real geographical data to down load

and
use
with the Microsoft flight sim 2004?
Ezra

Hi.

Why the subject "helicopter simulator"? MSFS can't simulate a

helicopters.
Try X-Plane. Still rubbish but 1000 times closer than MSFS. Also,
you're
in
the wrong group for flight sims.

We regularly get flight simmers asking here Andy. Particularly the heli
simmers.

Nice one -- so what's the collective's view on the most realistic sim at a
realistic price?

I've tried MSFS which has a flight model similar to a fixed
wing and doesn't model, well, any characteristic peculiar to a helicopter.
Also I've tried v6 of X-Plane which lost a lot of its modelling of
heli-related aerodynamics in this version. Any ideas?

There isn't one :-)) MSFS is total crap for a vareity of reasons, not least
the fact that there's NO relation between power changes and pedal
requirements and the cyclic response is so unreal it's not even funny. The
only other sim (to speak of) is X-Plane, but even that's not particularly
wonderous although it IS a bit better.

At least when you pull pitch, you need a legful of pedal and vice-versa.

I tried ver 6 and binned it in favour of keeping versions 2 to 5, but I've
not used any of those for a while now because they don't represent (in
particular) the R22b at all well.

I actually find it VERY strange that there isn't a decent heli sim, given
the progress made in the R/C heli sims. Some of the latest RC sims are
almost a direct copy of the real thing. A conspiracy I reckon:-)

Beav