Old October 13th 04, 07:18 PM
W P Dixon

I'm not looking at a map but I believe Hondo is WEST of San Antonio but the
distance is what you said. And no there is not much there Guess yall will
have to party in San Antonio..which ain't bad, lots of pretty senoritas!

Patrick

"ET" wrote in message
(One's Too Many) wrote in
om:

"Dude" wrote in message
That doesn't sound like there will be much reason to be there except
the show.

Get your hotel early, or plan on flying in and out, I guess.

Or plan on camping on the field. Hondo is way the heck out in the
middle of no-where. It's relatively flat and un-scenic for central
Texas, unlike the rest of the hill country. Right now it's used a lot
for T6-A training missions out of Randolph AFB. I flew there once
about a year ago, and it seemed desolate and deserted except for a few
grasshoppers and a lizard running across the ramp.

Sorry, My bad..

It's actually directly east of San Antonio(shows my sense of direction
huh? I had said it was South) about 30 miles. Also only a 1/2 hr or so
drive to Sea World etc. Castroville is another old-time Texas town
about 15 miles away from Hondo (toward San Antonio).

But the Speed limit from San Antonio to Hondo is 70 most of the way, So
even if you stay in a Hotel near Sea World, or even downtown San
Antonio, your not THAT far away from Hondo.

I live pretty near New Braunfels, so I'll have to drive over an hour to
get there instead of less than 15min. I think this will hurt the
driving attendance a bit, since New Braunfels was less than an hour from
both San Antonio & Austin, as well as a bit less than 3 hours from
Houston.

This will add about 70 miles to a drive from Houston or Austin.. perhaps
enough to convince a few folks not to go.

I understand about the need for a place with better drainage. I know
many venders were disapointed last year, (& I was a bit disapointed that
many of the venders didn't show up, since there spot was a large mud
puddle)

Hondo also tends to not get as much rain, and stay "generally" clearer
than the north east side of San Antonio, so that may help as well.

ET