View Single Post
Old June 15th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Fly-in BBQ at Inyokern - Saturday June 13

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 5:50:22 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
Dave H flew from Jean NV to Inyokern in his Pik20D. Across Death Valley but not enough OLC points to win. He got out if Jean just before the weather overdeveloped and shut things down for a while. Should get extra points for degree of difficulty. Death Valley is not easy in the summer.

Great going Dave!

BillT

thanks! as a low time XC pilot...it was the most ambitious flight i have yet to attempt. the weather was helpful...cloud streets along the ridges were my primary navigation source.only had one time i got near 8000 outside of Panamint Springs but found lift eventually to take me to Inyokern. I would have like to have made Whitney, but rain was in the area and proceeded directly to inyo rather than attempting to reach Loan Pine. also thanks to Doug M for his coaching, guidance and encouragement.

also the LVVSA president made the return flight. she actually flew further.....from inyokern past mt Whitney to Independance before turning back and then onto death valley for the trip back to Jean. in all, a 475k flight and her best one to date yet as well. getting low once (5000msl) near Amargosa but stayed focused and climbed back out to 14.5 for a straight glide back to Jean. huge flight for MM.