Old August 12th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default SSA responds to ANPRM

I fully agree transponders leave much to be desired per the arguement for upgrading to ADSB.

One thing that irritates me a bit is the idea that FAA (and associated political talking heads) are currently trying their best to force me to put N numbers on my "toy" quadcopter's and outfit them with ADSB. Utterly ridiculous idea, right ;-) ? Hmmmm? Be careful what you ask for folks.

With that, I don't feel much like complaining about being asked to outfit my modern sailplane with ANY or some 2 way traffic avoidance equipment. In my glider (rural Michigan), I do regularly fly along the edge of two class C airspace (Lansing and Grand Rapids) and one B airspace (Detroit). I truly enjoy watching the commercial traffic flying all around me on FLARM during these moments. It is something fun to do since most pilots in MI wont buy a FLARM (either).

Perhaps I did not read the article very well. I thought the discussion was regarding a "potential" ADSB requirement for 2020, NOT a mandatory transponders now, then ADSB in 2020. Ill go back and re-read. I agree that would be a bit more harsh, agreed. Most of the glider community would $hi# a chicken, agreed. No surprise there.

On the other hand (see hobby drone regulations), I don't think the FAA is in the mood to mess around any longer. They want a complete air traffic control system and far less risk. They are covering their collective butts and of course...that costs us money. Remember, the government has no money. In fact they have -19 trillion and counting.

I would blame CNN and NPR to be honest. This is a favorite theme of theirs.. They have 1-3 stories per week about how drones almost "brought down" an airliner. Unfortunately they are not fabrications. Gliders (and the rest) are just getting scooped up in that reform blizzard. Its way to late to separate gliders from the movement.

Just last week onCNN (Aug 5, 2015) - http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/drone-airliner-jfk/

Good times, good times!

Sean
7T

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:57:05 PM UTC-4, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
FWIW:

1) Transponders will give a false sense of security and teach vigilant glider pilots to trust that ATC is keeping tabs on their location for traffic deconfliction. This will result in less situational awareness for some pilots. (It is inevitable)

2) Transponders do nothing to separate gliders from VFR traffic squaking VFR and tracking in or out of an uncontrolled airfield. Not everyone is talking to ATC or getting flight following. And despite popular opinion, not everyone has an onboard collision avoidance system. (At least everything at my flight school lacks this capability)

3) If an immediate requirement for Transponders in gliders with electrical systems is imposed all gliders without a transponder will be out $2000 now, and another $2000-$5000 in 5 years when they have to upgrade to ADS-B. Why not wait till 2020? (Can't put a price on safety, but the FAA sure can harm a sport and form of flight training by imposing expensive requirements. The pilot shortage is near!!!)

4) In relation to my first point, the Flarm unit is far superior in my mind because it improves a pilots situational awareness and allows the glider pilot the chance to see and avoid. Let's not kid ourselves, glider pilots are looking out the window a hell of a lot more than a Bonanza flying VFR for that $100 hamburger. I would rather know where they are than have them run into me and my shiney new transponder.

5) If I have a battery failure in flight under a transponder requirement, do I need to land immediately in the nearest farm field? It is more likely that a glider will run out of sufficient battery power than an aircraft with an engine driven electrical system. Once the batteries run out of power the glider is now back to the same situation it was prior to the requirement. Waiting for ADS-B has some benefit here as the smaller units being developed for UAS are quite energy efficient.

I realize Flarm cannot be the solution. But I do think encouraging the use of a device that adds situational awareness is far more effective than trusting that a ground based radar and ATC operator are going to have communications with the traffic.