Old June 12th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Artificial slope soaring

On Jun 11, 4:41*pm, 5Z wrote:
Video of indoor slope soaring miniature glider:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAR2...eature=related

Has anyone thought about trying this with a full sized sailplane?
Perhaps a Sparrowhawk and a big-rig truck?

I don't see anything in the Sporting Code that would prevent someone
claiming a distance or speed record if the technique could be refined
and the appropriate roads could be found.

:-)

-Tom

I recall Tony (cherokee kid) and I having an amusing discussion about
this possiblilty. At first, we thought about RC sailplanes racing
along above trucks on the interstates and how you could pull up and
180 to catch another truck going the opposite direction for out and
return flights. Of course, this evolved (or DEvolved) into using full
scale sailplanes (like Woodstocks and Cherokees) for world record
smashing flights. We abondonded the plan upon realization that we'd
have some explaning to do about the unusual barograph traces that
would result. That, and the difficulty of flying while laughing our
heads off..

Personally, I'd like to see one of those wingsuit guys do it during
the indy 500.

Stop laughing Tony, I'm serious!

MM