Old October 24th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs

Back to the one-man rig issue. Unless you are in an unusual situation you
should be able to get along without this contraption. They are expensive and
use up too much space. At contests, clubs and commercial operations there is
always help.

If you do find yourself facing a solo assembly, use the two-blanket method
I've employed on a few occasions. Using old fluffy quilt-type blankets at
the tail and another where the tip will be when inserted into the fuselage,
assembly can be done as fast and safe as with a one-man rig.

Write me for assembly details if you go this way.

Karl Striedieck

"Peter Purdie" wrote in message
I think there is some confusion here.

For FAI/IGC Internationally recognised records and badges, evidence from a
secure flight recorder is required.

A number of programs produce fligth records that are in the correct
format, but unless they are from an IGC approved recorder, and pass a
validity check, they cannot be used for validating a flight.

What OLC chooses to accept is a matter for OLC, but unless XC-Soar
produces a hardware set that meets the IGC specification, and submits it
for approval, then IGC approval is not possible.

At 03:38 24 October 2008, Mike wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:12=A0pm, Brad wrote:
is there any hope that XC-Soar will get IGC approval for their logger?

Brad

On Oct 23, 7:57=A0am, BB wrote:

On Oct 22, 8:06=A0pm, wrote:

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC blessed) or
"category 2" (see the list) recorders except for sports regionals
where "category 3" recorders meaning just a pda software are

allowed.
See the rules

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Rules2008Regional.pdf

There is a proposal before the rules committee to allow some
Commercial Off The Shelf (typcially Garmin) units, plus G7towin or
similar software, as category 2 recorders. These would cost about

$150
and seem to provide adequate security.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how long category 3 will last, even

in
sports class. It's just too tempting to open the file with notepad,
elminate those two fixes in the restricted area, change a few
altitudes from 18101 feet to 17499 feet etc. Loggers that don't make

G record, which can be too easily spoofed into making one on fake
data, or for which winscore can't verify security via DLLs may not
last long.

With that in mind, if you suspect you'll be in contest soaring for

while, I'd recommend blowing the bucks on a category 1 or 2

recorder.
This will avoid what everyone else goes through, blowing 3 times the
money on a sequence of "cheap" alternatives that you then abandon.

Otherwise, I'd wait until December to see what the RC comes up with

in
the ongoing logger saga.

John Cochrane BB

Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike