Old October 24th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

XC-SOAR is OLC approved! Awesome.

I put my moving map together on a Dell Axim x51v with a Helix GPS card
that simply inserts in the top of the PDA.

Its advisable to go with the Higher resolution mainstream PDA's from
Dell or HP etc you will be glad you did.

I loaded it with XC Soar and it works fantastic.

XC-Soar is especially nice because it is open source(free) and the way
it is designed you can remap buttons, rearrange the display, and
interface with other instruments like airspeed or vario. You could
even extend the funtionality if your a real programing geek.

The community support site is where you submits bugs, questions and
enhancement requests and new features or improvements regularly pop
up.

Anyway my Dell PDA & GPS card cost $125 on eBay and works fabulously,
the only thing I changed was buy a higher capacity battery and cover
for $12.

I also get wireless internet on the PDA from the Soaring Club so I can
check out last minute weather updates, and peruse airport information,
upload IGC files to the OLC etc. without having to get on the clubs
PC.

So there you have a very affordable solution for your "15"

Ray

Yes XCSoar has been approved for OLC, and final testing is being done
now. The next release will have OLC validation.
A great news for a great program!

Mike- Hide quoted text -