Old October 24th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

Andy (and other curious or economically challenged souls),

Here is the letter I sent to Scott:

You will need two wing stands, or one wing stand and a table,box, etc. to
hold both wings at the right height for installing the pins. This also
assumes you have an adjustable ramp so the fuselage dolly will go up and
down a little. If not, no problem, you can put stuff under the wings to
raise/lower them.

Measure where the wing tip will be when it is pulled out of the trailer
and put a blanket there so that there is enough blanket to the rear for
sliding the tip further. Tilt the fuselage to the right (right wing on
first with Schleicher) so that it points where the tip will be on the
ground. Pull the tip out, put it on the blanket, go to the spar and lift
it up and put it down on the other (outermost) pin hole. Rotate the wing
until it is directly opposite the spar box, put it down on the other
blanket, go to the root and rotate the wing flat. Insert the right spar
into the fuselage. You will be at the root dragging the tip on the other
blanket. Raise the right wing and support it with some sort of wing stand.

The second wing (left) is handled the same until you slide it in. For this
you lay the spar tip on the fuselage, which will give about a one inch
support, and then go to the tip and pick it up for the slide in. This is
where you will need a second wing support of the correct height to allow
the pins to slide in. Minor adjustments can be made if your ramp raises
and lowers.

This all assumes you are using a trailer that is compatible with this
operation. If it is a home-made rig , modifications may be required. Let
me know.

I've done this a number of times on my 27, which has no push rods to
catch. You may have to figure out something if that is a problem on your
15.

Let me know if you need more details.

wrote in message
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Thank You - Scott Alexander